Tuesday 27 October 2009

The Time of my Life


* I am still unable to view my blog and others while away. I will continue to try to gain access so that I can visit you, my friends but please be patient with me.
I have just finished reading the autobiography of Patrick Swayze and Lisa Niemi. It was fantastic. I have been a huge fan of his since he starred in North and South but the reason I admired him so much was because of his love and devotion to his wife, Lisa.
Reading his story, I found him similar to myself in lots of ways apart from one and that is going to change. He always followed his dream and worked through pain and injury in his strive to achieve his goals.
I read this book at a time when the anti cancer drugs I am on have caused my fingers to swell and I am battling with my weight. I was thinking of stopping Tamoxifen until reading about Patrick Swayzes life and I felt reinvigorated in my war with cancer.
I am going to leave you with some of my favourite quotations from this book.
Page 21 " Failure was simply not an option, so from that point on I just refused to even let that thought enter my head"
Page 150 " You might not realize it at the time but the struggle to achieve something is, in many ways, much more satisfying than actually getting it. The very act of striving is what keeps you alive, and it keeps you grounded"
Page 203 " When those you love die, the best you can do is honor their spirit for as long as you live. You make a commitment that you're going to take whatever lesson that person or animal was trying to teach you, and you make it true in your own life."
Page 222 "Everybody fails in life, but its when you cant pick yourself up after failure that you're in trouble"

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have found renewed inspiration from Patrick Swayze's book and his life thoughts. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes he was a very special man.....very few like him around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!

    wanted to let you know about an interesting cancer blog a group of cancer patients have been working on.

    A fellow tongue cancer patient was sent home to die. There was nothing more that can be done. Cancer survivors ask him life altering questions.

    Please read: Dead Man Talking http://beyondtheglassdoor.blogspot.com

    Peace B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where are you my friend? Of course we'll be patient but I am glad that Patrick is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr Swill, I am onto that post! Thank you. Sue, I have been unable to get into blogs for some reason including my own but now I am back home things seem to be working just fine!

    ReplyDelete

I value each and every comment left, they keep me going and give me strength!