Saturday 24 October 2009

Second Wind!

My lovely blogging friends, I am so sorry I haven't been around much this last week, I have been busy "filling my boots". I hadn't realised just how ill I have been until I started to feel better and now I can't believe how I have got through the last 9 months!

I have been enjoying lots of long walks with my dogs, its funny how once you have faced your own mortality, you notice the beauty in life and the way each day changes the landscape. I love seeing the berries on the trees, I even like seeing the sloe berries on the floor, squashed and making a purple mess on the lanes!

I hit a wall of tiredness last Thursday and was totally exhausted so I have spent the last two days recovering. Thats the trouble with feeling well again, you think that you can do all the things you did before cancer, I am learning to take things a little slower you know the story about the tortoise and the hair?

I have missed everyone, I hope I wont be missing for so long this time.

Oh, as far as treatment is concerned, my radiation site is on the mend, most of the soreness has gone and my skin is itching now but nothing a good dollop of cream doesn't sort out. I am having some pains down my arm but I think that could be the nerves repairing, I still have numbness in parts of my arm and breast but I am used to the sensation now. The herceptin doesnt seem to have given me any side effects but the tamoxifen is affecting my weight and my fingers have swollen even more! My digestive system is slowly becoming normal and life is good. I am enjoying having more energy.

However, I do have a bad case of chemo brain! I can no longer multi-task and I have to concentrate really hard on what I am doing otherwise I totally forget.

So..... life is good!

5 comments:

  1. It seems that you are recovering more and more each day. Aren't those long walks great? Here in our part of Michigan, we have the peak fall colors, very pretty. I went for a long run today (I didn't run at all in Italy-no time but the walks up the mountains made my heart pound). Are sloe berries black currants?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chemo brain...ugh!!! It lasts for a little while but it does fade...and bonus..whenever you HAVE forgotten something you can always use it as an excuse...there are some things about cancer that are quite good to use!!! lol!!

    Tingly arm? Yeah, that's normal and not unusual after rads...

    You are doing so well...and isn't it amazing to look back and see what you've done over this year?? Tell yourself often how amazingly fantastic you truly are!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're back. I've missed you. They say that walking and exercise helps chemo brain. I just write everything down on little pieces of paper so I can remember it and then I forget where I put the pieces of paper! Urghhh. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use brightly colored post-its, and I stick them to the door. They say things like 'fire' and 'garbage' and 'appointment @ ----' The shopping list is there, which I add to as I go. Sadly, I don't know if this can even be blamed on chemo any more, having finished with that last February.

    It is a plan that works, for the most part, however. I always stop and read them on the way out. I remember to take the garbage to the curb, and to keep the wood boiler filled. I don't miss appointments either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear life is getting back to normal. Don't be to hard on yourself about the chemo brain ... it will come.

    ReplyDelete

I value each and every comment left, they keep me going and give me strength!