Friday 16 October 2009

First Dose of Herceptin

I went for my first dose of herceptin on Wednesday. I was given a bed on the day ward of the Shooting Star Unit and a loading dose of herceptin was administered via canula over a 1 1/2 hour period. My veins were still shut down on my left side so the canula had to go in on my affected side but it went in first time which was a relief.

I have had lots of assurances from friends that I would be fine and I was. It was weird lieing there expecting those sensations relating to chemo but not getting any. I was surrounded by lovely nurses and people and some friends came to visit which broke up the day nicely.

I am on day 2 following the herceptin and (touch wood) no side effects so far!

It was my gorgeous little boys birthday yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed celebrating being 11 with him.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you and Joe were able to celebrate the birthday happiness and you were feeling a-ok.

    Settle in with the herceptin and just enjoy the time to read or relax. It's such a different experience from chemo,isn't it? Even the fact that the IV went in to your affected side so easily was a sign that this is going to be smooth sailing for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had herceptin, but it sounds gentler than chemo. I know for chemo I took along an ipod and a couple of good books to pass the time.

    Best Wishes my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you got to enjoy the birthday and were feeling okay. I know you were looking forward to that. I will continue to pray that your
    experience is "smooth sailing" all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you got to enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad things are progressing well for you and that you enjoyed your boy's birthday. Keep smiling, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been getting Herceptin for a year now (my last treatment is in 3 weeks), and I've never really gotten sick with it. Sometimes I'll get feeling like the flu - but that's rare and it goes away after one day. I usually get a headache, but that's gone after day one as well. Herceptin is a wonder drug, mostly for that reason - NO side affects, like chemo. Hope you continue to do well.
    -Kara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear it went so well ... I hope it continues to go well for you ... day after day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No posts recently? Hope all is still well with you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bon Courage, Sara. I'm glad you had a great birthday with your son!

    Herceptin is quite specific to breast cancer cells with a certain anomaly driving their growth. (It'll never be good for you, Barry, but maybe there's some other "personalized medicine" coming your way soon.) So the rest of your body shouldn't get sick from it. Chemo makes you sick because it's poisoning all your cells, hoping the cancer cells will die faster, which they often do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am learning alot by reading your posts. Hoping with all my heart that you feel well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to your son.

    Sending you hugs and love and prayers. xxxx

    ReplyDelete

I value each and every comment left, they keep me going and give me strength!