Thursday 8 October 2009

My Herceptin Date Pulled Forward!!!!!

The date for my first round of herceptin was 4th November 2009. That date suited me just fine because it meant a month off cancer treatment for me, also some extra weeks for my veins to recover. My Oncologist wasn't too impressed with that date and told me that she would "work on it". Secretly, I was hoping she would forget or wouldn't be able to do anything about it. I have not been so lucky, this morning I had an appointment through for next week, 14th October, the day before my little boys 11th birthday. Hopefully there will be no side effects so Joes day won't be spoilt!

I had managed to get a seasonal flu jab rescheduled for 15th October because I didn't want my flu jab before I started herceptin. I will forgo that date now and re-apply the old date of 3rd November. My doctor explained to me this morning that they have delayed the seasonal flu jab so that they can administer the swine flu jab at the same time.
Hmmmmmm Swine Flu Jab! The jury is still out on that one..... I am 80/20 per cent sure that I don't want the injection because it hasn't been tested thoroughly enough. It speaks volumes when 60% of nurses are refusing the jab!! I just feel that my poor body has been through enough this last year!

Last year, I was attacked badly by a German Shepherd dog whilst out running. I had to have a tetanus injection and 2 weeks later when I went for my asthma check, the nurse persuaded me to have the pneumonia jab...... result...... celulitus. So you see, I don't have much faith in jabs!
So, I am a bit hacked off to say the least, I was hoping for a cancer treatment free month. I felt liberated and free even if it was just for a while. Now, next week, I will be back to the bump and grind of cancer treatment. Ah well......

6 comments:

  1. No side effects from herceptin that you need to worry about. No sickness, no fatigue...maybe a slight headache that day or day after. You might feel a bit stuffed up. But that is about it. It goes in easy and then you leave and go in again in 3 weeks. You should be great to go for Joe's birthday!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always seems to feel a little like a "life cheat" when the appointments and treatments won't even wait one extra day for a birthday or other celebration. I sincerely hope you are great to go for Joe's birthday. You have my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah you should be totally fine with the herceptin. I never felt sick from it. I think I may have had a few aches but really can't remember.

    Love Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, these are very encouraging words about herceptin: very nice, I'm glad to hear that you will be good on your son's birthday. He and I share the same birthday! (And i would hate to think that you felt lousy then)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara,

    I hope you do well on the next set of jabs - jeez, I bet you are feeling a bit like a pin cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts are with you, Sara.
    Herceptin is a pretty targeted drug - it shouldn't have much impact on the rest of your system. The flu jabs are indeed controversial. Most of my lab staff is refusing, but anybody dealing directly with patients is nearly obliged to have them. Because the patients are more vulnerable to the effects of the flu. So if your body is already dealing with your illness, it may be wise to take advantage of all the help you can get, even if vaccination itself has some negative effects. Talk it over with your docs!

    ReplyDelete

I value each and every comment left, they keep me going and give me strength!